- Please tell me about a successful piece of research you have carried out recently
- Please give an example of a time you have had to organise yourself and others.
- What is your understanding of what is meant by excellent communication skills? When have you put this understanding into practice?
- How has your degree prepared you for this job?
- Please can you give an example of when you have engaged and influenced others?
- Please tell me about a time you have been involved in a political or social campaign. What steps did you take to ensure the campaign was a success?
Interview Tasks / Assessment Centres
Interviews commonly include one or more tasks aiming to assess your competence for the role and allow the recruiters to observe your strengths and behaviours. Tasks that could occur in an assessment centre for a politics related role include:
- A timed presentation on a topic relevant to the role, which you are usually given in advance with time to prepare
- Group exercise involving working together towards a common aim, such as selecting a project to receive funding or planning a campaign
- Blogging or writing exercise involving writing a blog article on a political topic of interest or a subject relevant to the organisation
- Policy recommendation exercise, involving analysing a number of policy options, providing a written argument as to which one you would select and why