Speculative approaches are generally more effective ways to find jobs in the design / arts industries. It is known that more than 70% of those working in design industries have found opportunities through speculative applications. (AGCAS 2012)
A speculative application involves approaching a company about the possibility of working for them rather than applying to an advertised vacancy. It could be an effective way to bypass the huge number of applications that any individual company may receive to one advertised vacancy. Also remember, that many SMEs (small medium sized companies) very rarely advertise vacancies as they receive sufficient speculative applications to recruit in this way.
- Research the company you wish to approach.
- Tailor your CV/portfolio to reflect their work.
- Contact the company to ask for the name of the most appropriate person to email your application to – this demonstrates initiative!
- Ensure that your email (cover letter) is well written, articulate, demonstrates your knowledge of the organisation/gallery and your desire to work for them.
- Follow-up your email within a reasonable delay with a phone call if no response is forthcoming.