- What do you enjoy about this industry?
- What challenges do you think this organisation (or industry) will face over the next 5 years?
- Give an example of when you have worked under pressure.
- What kinds of people do you like working with? (or What kind of people do you find it difficult to work with?)
- Do you prefer to work alone or in a group? Why?
- This organisation is very different to your current employer - how do you think you are going to fit in?
- What are you looking for in a company?
- How do you measure your own performance?
- What kind of pressures have you encountered at work?
- What are the biggest challenges you would face in this role and why? How will you work on them?
- When have you shown initiative?
- What are your major achievements?
- What are your career goals?
- How would your peers and /or your last manager describe you?
- Are you a self-starter? Give me examples to demonstrate this?
- What changes in the workplace have caused you difficulty and why?
- How do you feel about working long hours and/or weekends?
- Give me an example of when you have been out of your depth.
- What other jobs have you applied for?
- What are your salary expectations?
- What experience do you have of delivering real or simulated events?
- What ideas could you suggest for a fundraising event?
- What experience do you have of event budget management?
- What experience do you have of supervising others?
- When have you had to meet tight deadlines?
- What experience do you have of dealing with people at different levels?
- Give me some examples of when you have demonstrated good organisational skills.
- When have you multi tasked effectively?
- When have you demonstrated good attention to detail?
- What events have you been involved in and what role have you played?
Finding and Applying for Jobs related to Events Management
Event jobs can carry very different titles and can be found in lots of different industries; as a result, they are often advertised in other unlikely places. You will therefore, need to be very creative in how you search for opportunities and establish a wide network of contacts within the industry who can keep you updated on opportunities as they arise. Social networking sites may be helpful for keeping up to date with friends, but also consider how you can establish and maintain your professional 'networks'.
Looking for work
Read the Finding a Job section for lots of advice on how to find work. You may also want to look at some of the suggested links on this page. Trade papers and professional bodies often include a section for vacancies. You may also find general and specialist recruitment agencies a source of vacancies.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships is a government-funded scheme that places graduates in micro sized, small and large businesses, as well as the public sector and third sector. Most vacancies are for graduates in engineering, IT and business related subjects.
Don't forget to read the interviews section for more advice. It is worth practising answers to questions you might be asked. Some interview questions which Events students have been asked in the past include:
- What do you know about our brand/group?
- What personal qualities can you bring to this role?
- Give me an example of when you provided or received excellent customer service
- Give an example of when you had to deal with a difficult customer, what did you do in that situation and how was the situation resolved?
- A guest is looking at the venue and conference centre and then starts to walk away. What do you do?
- You have given an example of team work within university, give me another example from another area of your life e.g. work / social
- What do you feel has been your biggest achievement?
- Give an example of when you have had to change a plan or schedule because of unforeseen circumstances?
- What is the most difficult situation you have had to face and how did you tackle it?
- What do you like about your present job? (and what do you dislike about your present job?)
- Why do you want to leave your current role?
- What are your strengths? (and/or What is your greatest weakness?)