Tips for getting a script commissioned
- make sure your script is as strong as it can be; submitting a poor script can impact on your future chances
- contact production companies that produce work you genuinely admire
- do not limit yourself to just one company
- check submission criteria on company websites
- be bold and make contact with people before submitting your script
Working in the creative industries
Finding paid work in the creative sector can be a challenge. Alongside traditional job seeking, professional networking is a good way of making contact with potential employers and collaborators, finding out about paid jobs and developing opportunities together.
Volunteering is an excellent way of gaining relevant experience and making contacts within your chosen sector. Many people working in the creative industries start out as volunteers and then progress onto paid work. See the Volunteering section for information on local opportunities.
Many people working within the creative industries develop 'portfolio careers.' This entails working on a number of part-time jobs or contracts at the same time and responding to developments in the market.
Working on a self-employed or freelance basis is common within the creative industries. Our Self Employment pages provide information about the support you can access at Sheffield Hallam.