- What current issues in health and social care are you aware of that may influence your practice?
- At a case conference, the family of a patient are determined that she is going into a home. You have carried out a home visit and feel that with some rehabilitation and possible home care she could manage. The MDT is in agreement with your recommendations; how would you approach the family?
- You have a patient who you feel has some further potential for rehabilitation however needs a high level of care in the meantime. The social worker has told you that the amount of care she needs is above the allowed threshold and would be recommending residential care. The patient does not want to go into care – what would you do?
- You are running a group and one patient is particularly disruptive. How do you deal with him/her?
- You are seeing a client who discloses that they are having thoughts about killing someone – what would you do?
- What is good practice for keeping clinical records?
- What makes a good supervision session?
To keep up to date with the profession and help you prepare for applications and interviews it is recommended that you join professional associations and read professional journals and magazines. British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT) and College of Occupational Therapy (COT) are your professional bodies that offer support, learning resources, careers advice and insurance. You are strongly advised to join as a student member to access their resources and professional development opportunities.
All Occupational Therapists must also register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)